Dealers ask Quebec to rethink EV rules after national reset
Tashi Farmilo
Quebec’s network of car dealers is pressing the provincial government for changes to its electric vehicle policy following a major update from the federal government on February 5.
In a significant policy shift, the federal government is moving away from fixed electric vehicle sales quotas and adopting a system based on greenhouse gas emissions limits for new cars and trucks. This approach gives automakers more flexibility in how they achieve climate targets, allowing a broader mix of technologies. The new plan also restores purchase incentives of up to $5,000 for electric vehicles and commits major funding to expand charging infrastructure nationwide.
Previously, the federal plan required that at least 20 percent of all new vehicles sold in Canada be zero-emission by 2026, increasing to 60 percent by 2030 and 100 percent by 2035. That roadmap has now been replaced by emissions-based performance standards.
Quebec has its own set of electric vehicle requirements. The province’s zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) standard mandates that automakers generate credits by selling a minimum number of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles each year. Quebec’s targets have also aimed for 100 percent of new vehicle sales to be electric by 2035.
In late 2025, Quebec adjusted this policy by softening the 2035 target. The new goal is 90 percent ZEV sales by that year, and the definition of qualifying vehicles was broadened to include more plug-in hybrids. These changes gave the industry slightly more breathing room but did not fully address concerns from dealers about operational challenges and shifting market demand.
Now, with the federal government stepping back from fixed EV quotas, Quebec’s dealers are asking the province to suspend its own rules and carry out a full review. They say the current system no longer aligns with national direction and creates confusion for both the industry and consumers.
The Corporation des concessionnaires automobiles du Québec (CCAQ), which represents nearly 900 dealers across the province, said the federal changes are a step in the right direction. The organization highlighted the need for flexibility and realistic planning in the transition to cleaner transportation.
“This federal announcement changes its approach, and that's a good thing,” said Ian P. Sam Yue Chi, President and CEO of the CCAQ. “It focuses on flexibility, encourages diversity of supply, and supports demand with incentives and infrastructure. It's an important signal for the industry.”
“The patience of dealers has its limits when uncertainty becomes structural,” he added. “Now, it is time for the Government of Quebec to move. We are calling for the immediate suspension of the Quebec ZEV standard and its complete revision. The government must take structural action, a realistic trajectory, and a framework that takes into account Quebecers' ability to adopt this technology. An ambitious transition is possible, but it must be executable.”s transition is possible, but it must be executable," he said.

